Are you an avid gamer who’s just welcomed a new four-legged companion into your life? Well, you’re in for a treat! Video games provide a treasure trove of unique dog name ideas.
Regardless of your dog’s breed, choosing a name inspired by video games is a fantastic way to express your passion for the gaming world.
Below is a curated list of top video game inspired dog names with their meanings. Dive in and discover the perfect gaming name for your furry buddy. Let’s explore these game-inspired canine monikers.
Video Games Inspired Names For Male Dogs
- Mario: The iconic plumber from the “Super Mario” series by Nintendo.
- Sonic: The fast blue hedgehog from Sega’s “Sonic the Hedgehog” series.
- Linkus: Possibly a typo. Link is the protagonist of “The Legend of Zelda” series.
- Luigi: Mario’s younger brother, also a plumber from the “Super Mario” series.
- Bowser: The main antagonist of the “Super Mario” series; King of the Koopas.
- Mega: Short for Mega Man, a robot hero from Capcom’s “Mega Man” series.
- Ryu: A martial artist from the “Street Fighter” series by Capcom.
- Kirby: A pink puffball with the ability to copy powers in Nintendo’s “Kirby” series.
- Cloud: The spiky-haired protagonist of “Final Fantasy VII” by Square Enix.
- Master Chief: The main character of Microsoft’s “Halo” series.
- Samy: Could be a typo. Sam is a protagonist in some games, but there’s no prominent “Samy.”
- Leon: One of the main characters from “Resident Evil” series by Capcom.
- Kratos: The God of War, protagonist of the “God of War” series by Santa Monica Studio.
- Pac-Man: A yellow, pellet-eating character from the arcade game of the same name.
- Sora: The main character of Square Enix’s “Kingdom Hearts” series.
- Dante: The demon hunter from Capcom’s “Devil May Cry” series.
- Crash: The bandicoot protagonist of “Crash Bandicoot” series by Naughty Dog.
- Spy: Possibly a typo. Spyro is a dragon from the “Spyro the Dragon” series.
- Donkey: Short for Donkey Kong, a strong ape from Nintendo’s “Donkey Kong” series.
- Ratchet: The mechanic lombax from “Ratchet & Clank” series by Insomniac Games.
Video Games Inspired Names For Female Dogs
- Peach: Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom from the “Super Mario” series.
- Zeldy: Possibly a typo. Zelda is the princess from “The Legend of Zelda” series.
- Lara: The adventurous archaeologist from “Tomb Raider” series.
- Tifa: A fighter and Cloud’s friend in “Final Fantasy VII”.
- Samus: Intergalactic bounty hunter from “Metroid” series by Nintendo.
- Aerith: A key character with magical abilities in “Final Fantasy VII”.
- Cortana: An AI character from the “Halo” series.
- Daisy: Princess Daisy is a character in the “Super Mario” series.
- Rosalina: Cosmic princess from the “Super Mario” series.
- Ellie: Young survivor in “The Last of Us” series by Naughty Dog.
- Kitana: A princess warrior from the “Mortal Kombat” series.
- Jill: Jill Valentine, a member of S.T.A.R.S. in “Resident Evil”.
- Ada: Mysterious operative in the “Resident Evil” series.
- Coco: Crash Bandicoot’s younger sister in the “Crash Bandicoot” series.
- Celeste: The main character in the indie platformer game “Celeste”.
- Meryl: A soldier from the “Metal Gear Solid” series by Konami.
- Bayonetta: Umbra witch protagonist of the “Bayonetta” series by PlatinumGames.
- Sheva: A partner to Chris Redfield in “Resident Evil 5”.
- Yuna: A summoner from “Final Fantasy X”.
- Claire: Claire Redfield, a protagonist in the “Resident Evil” series.
Dog Names From Video Games Characters
- Dogmeat: A loyal canine companion from the “Fallout” series.
- Amaterasu: The sun goddess in wolf form from the game “Okami”.
- Rush: Mega Man’s robotic dog sidekick from the “Mega Man” series.
- Chop (GTA V): Franklin’s Rottweiler pet in “Grand Theft Auto V”.
- K. Slider (Animal Crossing): A dog musician from the “Animal Crossing” series.
- Toby: There are several Tobys in gaming. One notable is from “Toby: The Secret Mine”.
- Missy (Spore): Dogs appear in various forms based on player creation in “Spore”.
- Koromaru (Persona 3): A loyal Shiba Inu with Persona abilities in “Persona 3”.
- Angelo (Final Fantasy VIII): Rinoa’s loyal dog companion in “Final Fantasy VIII”.
- Hewie (Haunting Ground): The protagonist’s canine protector in “Haunting Ground”.
- Poochy: A friendly dog who assists Yoshi in “Yoshi’s Island”.
- Polterpup: A friendly ghost dog from “Luigi’s Mansion” series.
- Riley (Call of Duty: Ghosts): A military dog in “Call of Duty: Ghosts”.
- Max (Sam & Max): Max is a “hyperkinetic rabbity thing”, part of the duo in “Sam & Max” series.
- Peter Puppy (Earthworm Jim): A dog who is Jim’s friend and sometimes enemy when angered.
- Wolf Link (The Legend of Zelda): Link’s wolf form in “The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess”.
- Dinki-Di (Mad Max): A dog companion in the “Mad Max” video game.
- Repede (Tales of Vesperia): A dog with a pipe who’s a party member in “Tales of Vesperia”.
- Laika (Space Dog): Inspired by the real dog sent to space; appears in various games as tribute.
- Rad Shiba: The main character from the game “Rad Shiba”, a skateboarding dog.
Dog Names Related To Video Games Names
- Tetris: From the iconic block-puzzling game “Tetris”.
- Pong: One of the earliest arcade video games.
- Quest: Representative of “quest” elements common in adventure games.
- Atari: After the iconic gaming company, Atari.
- Raiden: A character from both “Metal Gear” and “Mortal Kombat” series.
- Pixel: Representing the basic unit of a digital image in games.
- Mortal: From the “Mortal Kombat” fighting game series.
- Combat: Reflecting action elements present in many video games.
- Zelda: The princess from “The Legend of Zelda” series.
- Banjo: The bear protagonist from “Banjo-Kazooie”.
- Kazooie: The bird sidekick from “Banjo-Kazooie”.
- Kombat: Another nod to the “Mortal Kombat” series.
- Odyssey: From “Super Mario Odyssey” and also represents epic journeys.
- Yoshi: Mario’s dinosaur companion from the “Super Mario” series.
- Dreamcast: Sega’s gaming console.
- Spyro: A purple dragon from the “Spyro the Dragon” series.
- Portal: From the innovative puzzle-platform game “Portal”.
- Halo: A sci-fi shooter series from Microsoft.
- Destiny: A multiplayer first-person shooter game.
- Sega: The game company known for “Sonic” and other iconic games.
Other Video Games Themed Dog Names
- Epona: Link’s trusty horse in “The Legend of Zelda” series.
- Jax: A strong fighter from the “Mortal Kombat” series.
- Blaze: A character from “Sonic the Hedgehog” series.
- Scorpion: A prominent fighter in “Mortal Kombat”.
- Bow: Reflective of bow weapons used in various RPGs.
- Arrow: Common projectile weapon used in many RPGs, also connects to “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” (“arrow to the knee” meme).
- Aloy: Protagonist from “Horizon Zero Dawn”, a skilled archer and hunter.
- Noctis: The main character of “Final Fantasy XV”, prince of Lucis.
- Drake: Nathan Drake, the treasure hunter protagonist of the “Uncharted” series.
- Cappy: Mario’s cap companion in “Super Mario Odyssey”.
- Meta: Referring to Meta Knight, a mysterious character from the “Kirby” series.
- Ridley: A dragon-like antagonist from the “Metroid” series.
- Sephiroth: The main antagonist of “Final Fantasy VII”.
- Navi: Link’s fairy companion in “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time”.
- Toad: A mushroom-like character from the “Super Mario” series.
- Clank: The small robot and sidekick to Ratchet in the “Ratchet & Clank” series.
- Fox: Fox McCloud, the protagonist of the “Star Fox” series.
- Mumbo: A shaman from the “Banjo-Kazooie” series.
- Eve: Referring to “EVE Online”, a massive multiplayer online game.
- Fable: From the “Fable” series, action RPGs developed by Lionhead Studios.
- Wario: Mario’s rival and anti-hero from the “Super Mario” universe.
- Pit: The angelic protagonist of the “Kid Icarus” series.
- Ness: A young boy with psychic powers from “EarthBound”.
- Lucas: Another psychic-powered boy from the sequel to “EarthBound”, “Mother 3”.
- Knuckles: An echidna and ally/rival to Sonic in the “Sonic the Hedgehog” series.
- Tails: Sonic’s two-tailed fox sidekick from the “Sonic the Hedgehog” series.
- Diddy: Short for Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong’s sidekick in the “Donkey Kong” series.
- King K. Rool: The main antagonist crocodile of the “Donkey Kong” series.
- Wart: The main antagonist in “Super Mario Bros. 2”, a frog king.
How To Select A Best Dog Name For Your New Canine Friend?
Selecting a name for your new canine friend is a delightful task. Here are some guidelines to help you choose the perfect name.
Reflect Your Dog’s Personality
Observe your dog for a few days. A playful, energetic dog might suit a name like “Bolt,” while a calm, noble dog might be better as “Regal.” Choose a name that matches their demeanor.
Pick a name that’s easy for you and others to say. It should be distinguishable from daily words, ensuring your dog recognizes it quickly and doesn’t confuse it with common commands.
Consider Future Growth
If you have a puppy, remember they will grow. A name like “Tiny” might be fitting now, but not when they’re fully grown. Consider how the name will age with them.
Cultural And Personal References
Names from favorite books, movies, historical figures, or personal experiences can be meaningful. For gamers, names from video games (like “Mario” or “Zelda”) might resonate.
Test It Out
Before settling, try calling out the name multiple times, as you would in real situations. This will help you determine if it feels right and if your dog responds positively to it.
Names with positive connotations or meanings can be uplifting. It’s also beneficial to avoid names that sound like negative commands, ensuring clarity during training.